Sunday, March 18, 2007

reacting . . . but so much more (modern, postmodern, and beyond)

We are living on the boarder between what once was (modernism) and what is yet to come. Many have described this as postmodernism. As with many things, postmodernism is at least in part a reaction against the perceived abuses of modernity. Though some of the claims are exaggerated, it is indeed true that a number of wrong ideas and practices were prevalent during this era. To react can be a good and healthy thing, even a God-initiated thing. But, and this is important, at some point we need to make sure that our reaction doesn’t turn us into one-sided reactionaries, people whose impulses lack wisdom. Likewise, we must be aware of the possibility that our criticism of, say, the hubris and self-assured cockiness of modernity doesn't degenerate into a new version of the same. When I hear such confident criticism of modernity without a concomitant effort to not only critique the past but forge a better way into the future, I sometimes cringe. Part of this is due, of course, to the experiences many of us have had in modern churches. Those who fled from those ministries (often after spiritual abuse) are not apt to put their hurts behind them. Believe me, I understand this completely! Still–and I am NOT putting myself up as a standard on this–I also think that the initial reactionary spirit (which, in God's grace, can be a wonderful thing) must eventually back off a little and take on a more balanced or seasoned perspective.

To illustrate, if my 9 year old throws something at my 13 year old, the impulse of my 13 year old will be to react quickly and forcefully. When this occurs, I understand my 13 year old’s predicament, and I correct my 9 year old for what he has done. But I also try to make sure that I discourage my 13 year old from over-reacting to the situation. When he overstates the case–thinking, for example, that he should take a poke at his little brother–I take that as a sign of immaturity. My point in saying these things is that in the process of reacting against bad stuff (and there is and will always be a lot to oppose), at some point we must learn to temper our reactions a bit.
Please understand that I am not opposing reactions against that which is inappropriate and unspiritual. Sometimes, in fact, these reactions ought to be fast and furious! When it comes to modernity, we should be against those aspects that were and are harmful. But, along the way, we must be careful that we don’t become enamored with our reactionary spirit or even proud of it. While we must always be able to identify errors, more time needs to be spent on applying truths. Though arrogance must be stood against, this will ring hollow if we don’t also live our lives humbly (and not merely talk about the hubris of others). As we think about the modernity we left (are leaving), we will need to react against certain abuses. But we will also need to work through our personal issues, and we simply must avoid being trapped in the past, charting new ways into the yet-to-come postmodern and beyond world. I am only beginning to move in this direction. Lord willing, we can travel (and mature) together as we navigate our way ahead.

No comments: