Monday, March 05, 2007

Jesus . . . what really matters?

In watching the Jesus Tomb segment, I have tried to think through the issues related to Jesus and Christianity. Though these are only tentative remarks, they represent some “out loud thinking” about these subjects. What is the essence of Christian faith? What must we accept about Jesus to retain true, historic belief? What apparent non-negotiable truths should believers hold onto in their quest to understand any of the challenges that come their way? In light of this recent claim that Jesus’ tomb have been found, what lens should we look through as we seek to decipher various claims? Here are some basic faith-commitments:

(1) Jesus claimed to be and was proclaimed by his followers as the Messiah, the unique individual who would rescue humanity. As such, he performed marvelous supernatural wonders and spoke amazing words, which eventually led his followers to believe he was God’s Son. In Christian theology, he is termed theanthropos (i.e., the God-man). Somehow, in the person of Jesus, God has truly become one of us. He wasn’t just a godly man or a spirit-filled individual. No, he was also the Lord become a human being. I don’t know exactly how such a thing took place, but it is the essence of the incarnation. Apart from this, we have something less than Christianity and Someone less than a hope-producing redeemer.

(2) Next, Jesus lived an exemplary life, indeed an absolutely complete and unblemished one before God and man. That is, he lived among us in a way that no other had before or has since. Though he was human in every sense of the term, he never committed the wrongs that humans are known for. Instead, he lived as we should, as God designed us to live. Even his enemies couldn’t find a fault with him, except to reject his claims and spurn his utter commitment to love others.

(3) Third, Jesus somehow died in our place. His death was not merely that of a martyr. Nor was it simply as an example. Beyond all that, he treated his own death in terms of sacrifice or atonement. Again, I’m not entirely sure what was taking place behind the scenes when Jesus died. What seems clear enough, though, is that his death was on behalf of others. In some strange and mysterious way, Jesus’ death is our passage way to life.

(4) Jesus death was not an end to him, for he was reported alive by his followers. Those who cowered in fear in response to his ignominious death were suddenly emboldened by what took place on “the third day.” While a complete understanding of the meaning of a resurrection is far beyond any of us, it is important to say that something visible, tangible, and observable took place as Jesus overcame the grave. It was not merely some ethereal vision that others experienced, for he ate fish with them. Nor was he a ghost, for he invited the touch of Thomas and even exclaimed, “Touch and see that it is I and not a spirit.” In other words, whatever happened to Jesus was something that resulted in his being seen alive. This was no apparition. This was not the influence of Jesus living on. Rather, it involved the conquest of death and thereby the declaration of his identity and the stamp of approval on his rescuing activity.

Of course other things might be added to this list, but I think this represents at least a minimal amount of the necessary stuff when it comes to matters of faith in Jesus. Now, given the claims of the people who put together the so called documentary, I’m not sure all that we should do in response. Perhaps there would be some clever way to maintain faith even if this is Jesus’ ossuary. Maybe the historic faith could survive the uncovering of the body of its (supposedly bodily resurrected) founder. But, to be honest, I am skeptical of such an effort. Indeed, I am even more suspicious about the motives of those who put on such shows.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hay. what going on lovely people out their. how yall feeling?
What really matters is my life. Just think about it. It's free. You do what you please with it, but I decided give it back to Jesus (my Lord). I sin. My father God (the I AM) forgives me. I lie, offend, show my anger, rage ect.

I healed things;... I mean deep things within my heart, and He dealth with me with his love and kindness. When I concealed myself away from him, He woos me back to Him into his presence. His words draws me out of my sin full ways.
He gives me opportunities to know Him again and again. GOD really loves me and loves me in the state I am in. Jesus...that's what really matters. And fact that Jesus died
for me.....for me to live freely,..
no lie aside;what more can you ask for. Do you remember back when a man would say "Girl I'll die for you " gust to prove his love was true, and then he lied. And left you YOUR LIFE. Well Jesus Did Not lie. He was wiped worse than a Hebrew slave to redeem us back the All Mighty Farther God; WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT,
"JESUS.....WHAT REALLY MATTERS?"

Dr. Carmen C. DiCello said...

I agree! God is good and gracious and forgives us through his Son. I cannot tell you how many times I have done what is wrong, yet his love outlasts my foolishness! Thanks for the personal reflections! :-)

Carmen