Monday, March 12, 2007

i wish . . .

I wish certain Christians would exude a greater openness to the possibility that they may actually be wrong about some things.

I wish other Christians would stop being wimps when it comes to anything related to truth.

I wish certain modern types would display more humility by emphasizing not only what they do know but what they don’t.

I wish certain postmodern types would stop confusing humility with relativism.

I wish those who think they know it all would pause to truly consider where they derive their conclusions from.

I wish those who constantly brag about what they don’t know would realize that it is still quite possible to be arrogant in the process.

I wish that certain segments of the church would stop thinking about themselves and start thinking about the people whom Jesus loves.

I wish other segments of the church would stop acting like being missional simply means repackaging old ways of doing things.

I wish we would learn to avoid the “stuck I the mud,” “have already arrived” attitude.

I also wish we would avoid the reactionary, “throw out the baby with the bath water” mentality.

I wish certain traditionalists would come to see that some traditions are harmful (or at least outdated).

I wish certain “cutting edge” individuals would pause before jettisoning everything that comes to us via the modern era.

I wish certain Christians would recognize that none of their “heros of the faith” were perfect.

I wish other Christians would recognize that we do have something to learn from our heros of the faith.

I wish we would all somehow learn to appreciate and make proper use of the past, live with vigor and wisdom in the present, and look with hope to the future.

I wish I wouldn't be such a hypocrite when writing such things.

I wish I didn't have to wish.

I wish . . .

4 comments:

Missional Jerry said...

I wish many of those same things

Dr. Carmen C. DiCello said...

Thanks for your response ,Jerry. By the way, I also live in PA.

Carmen

Anonymous said...

It hurt to read some of those because I can relate to them from my journey -- and a few even yet :-(.

Dr. Carmen C. DiCello said...

Yeah, I know what you mean, Rick. Yet, there is hope, for yesterday's wish helps shape today's reality . . . at least, that's my hope! :-) Thanks for commenting!

Carmen