Tuesday, May 13, 2008

sad hope

sad hope
As a high school teacher, each year I experience a “blue” period, a time when I am somewhat saddened by the reality that some fine young people, students that I’ve grown to know and care about, graduate from high school. While I realize that this is a part of the process, and though I am fully aware that a new “batch” of kids will follow, I still feel the pain of it all.

Still, as a Christian, I try to place these moments, these temporary losses, within the framework of the eternal. As a result, I say my goodbyes with a measure of hope, a hope that my efforts, concern, and genuine love for these kids are not ultimately lost.

I live, therefore, with a sense of hope combined with sadness. You might say that I have a sad hope. The words that follow are a feeble attempt to capture some of what I feel. These awkward thoughts are intended especially for the ones who already know that I care.


getting acquainted
through time, heart poured out
trying to show
what this life’s all about

some pass by quickly
while some leave a mark
those special ones shine
as they light up the dark

touching hearts truly
intending to care
reaching to teach them 'bout truth
do we dare?

bonds are created
a moment in time
deepened connections
with lives that can rhyme

knowing the depth
it is real, not pretend
feeling a sense that
this shouldn’t ever end

can’t pause to sleep
no time for dozing
buying up time
for the window’s fast closing

next phase beginning
the future looks bright
seeing through tears
that their going is right

as they turn outward
it hardly seems fair
again, worth repeating
just how much I care

forever you’re with me
though gone now away
in hope’s promised goal
you will finally stay

faith filled with love
a time of reunion
coming’s the time
of unending union

dwelling on good times
it helps me to cope
hanging on God’s dreams
a sad sort of hope

2 comments:

Unknown said...

dr. carmen, I really appreciate your notions about investing our lives to others, indeed it has always been a "sad hope". Their leaving is a way of our staying! God bless, leo from the philippines

Dr. Carmen C. DiCello said...

Hey, Leo!

Great to hear from you. I hope that all is well with you and your family.

We experience a measure of darkness now, but the light is coming! :-)

Thanks, Leo!

Carmen