Tuesday, May 13, 2008

confusion . . . and faith

Sometimes, I don’t have a clue. I just don’t know what God is up to or what he wants me to do. Recently, I’ve been reminded of this fact. There are times, of course, when I know exactly what I’m supposed to do, and I think I can sense what God is doing. Other times, though, I am baffled . . . to say the least.

So, I find myself in this or that situation, and I can think of a number of ways that I might attempt to handle it. But the more I think, the less certain I am of which option (if any!) is best. Then, on top of all this, there is this glaring tendency in me to do the wrong thing. Selfishness can get in the way, as can pride or laziness. Boy, some things are not so easy.

Yet, even amid this uncertainty and confusion, there is a way ahead. To be honest, it’s really not a surprising way, but it is filled with lots of uncertainty and ambiguity. It’s the way of faith. There are time, or so it appears, that God simply wants us to trust him . . . period. There may be answers later (only God knows), but there is (right now and always) the need to believe, to trust, to walk by faith.

The way we take is the path of faith. This way is a matter of following, and it entails “going with the flow” of God’s providence. Along the way, we look clues and nuggets of insight and wisdom, for we want to (or at least should want to) be as faithful as we are able. But always we must rely on the (currently) invisible One, the One who is the Way.

“Lord, you know how little I know, and you are fully aware of how frustrated I can get when I feel uncertain about what I’m supposed to do in this or that circumstance. Please supply wisdom and enable me to walk by faith. Guide me, and manifest your love in and through me.”

No comments: