Tuesday, March 18, 2008

God is present

God is present.

Yeah, I know this is an assumption that we often make. It is, after all, a part of our Christian heritage, an aspect of our shared theology. At Christmas, we proclaim the incarnation, that God has become one of us. At Easter, we celebrate the fact that he is not only with us but with us in ways that provide spiritual rescue and freedom.

But all too often, I think we fail to come to grips with the implications of these profound truths. God is as near as the air we breath. He is actually here with you, with me, with us . . . right now. What an amazing concept, that the creator of the universe is actually among us.

But there is more. This creator, this “with us” deity, actually cares. He is not here reluctantly. No, he really wants to be here. He delights in us through his Son, and he loves us with an indestructible love.

While I must admit that I’ve often been oblivious to God’s presence, I can also honestly say that–at least occasionally–I’ve noticed it. That is, I’ve experienced times when I am compelled to say, “God was here or there . . . and he’s present now.”

This year, I have encountered some things that demonstrate God’s nearness. This week, I’ve experienced the same. In fact just today, I feel like I’ve had contact with “higher things,” that the living Lord has actually shown his compassion and love for me . . . and I am so grateful.

“Thanks, Lord, for blessing me in so many ways. Thank you for the immensity of your goodness and the limitlessness of your power. Thank you for the people you have placed in my life and the opportunities to connect with those things that truly matter. Thank you!”

No comments: