Monday, March 24, 2008

being faithful

Faithful

- Strict or thorough in the performance of duty. True to one’s word, promises, vows, etc.

There are many things that might be mentioned as admirable qualities, but few can rival faithfulness. To be faithful is to demonstrate an allegiance to a cause, remaining devoted to that which is truly important.

Of course the validity of one’s faithfulness can only be determined by how closely it is associated with that which is actually good, true, and right. And nothing is as good, true, and right as God and his ways. Genuine faithfulness, therefore, involves living in a manner that reflects and is consistent with God and his ways.

With these things in view, I want to be faithful . . .

to the truth . . . wherever it is found.
to God.
to my family.
to others.
to those, especially, who are closest to me.

I want to be faithful . . .

in displaying compassion.
in actually caring.
in seeking and sharing wisdom.
in spreading joy.
in consistently leaning on God.

I want to be faithful . . .

with my words.
with my life.
with my gifts.
with my opportunities.
with my relationships.

I want to be steady in my allegiance to the truth.
I want to be loyal in my determination to love God and others.
I want to exude a reliable faithfulness.

And I want God, one day, to say to me something like, “Hey, you’ve made some blunders, and sometimes you’re a goof, but on the whole (and by My grace) you’ve been a good and faithful believer.”

Be faithful! “Lord, enable me (us) to be faithful.”

No comments: