Saturday, February 17, 2007

the Galloping Gourmet

Earlier today, while jogging on the treadmill, I was watching food guru Graham Kerr. As some of you might recall, he is sometimes referred to as the Galloping Gourmet. As I observed the program, my hunger grew, and I was once again reminded of my love for food. Indeed, someone recently asked me if one of my motivations for exercise is to avoid guilt when eating; this is probably the case.

What a marvel it is to consider the many delectable dishes that are possible. Both the maker of these marvelous creations and the food itself remind, once again, of the kind of world in which we live. Indeed, one might consider this the “problem” of taste! How so? Well, let me put it this way: Why do so many things taste so incredibly good? What causes us to salivate in the presence of food? Why do certain aromas seem to draw us in, compelling us to gormandize on the many appetizing options?

I suppose we could blame it all of an evolutionary impulse. Tastebuds are merely a mechanism that came about by chance to assure our survival. Of course I wonder how and why a supposedly mindless process would be so kind! Indeed, are random processes benevolent? I realize, of course, that this argument will not be acceptable to certain philosophers who are hell-bent on noticing and tracing out only the awful aspects of life (see my bog on the “problem” of good). But for those with eyes to see, olfactory organs to smell, and taste buds to . . . well, taste, this may be yet another example of the goodness of our Creator, who made us in such a way that we can enjoy many things and who made many things that we might enjoy. Perhaps, he is the original Galloping Gourmet. Not only the heavens but the hash browns, not only the firmament but the French Bread pizza declare the glory of God . . to the delight of our God-given palates. Bon appétit!

No comments: