Saturday, February 10, 2007

poised postmodernism

We are all reactionary beings. Something happens and our impulse is to react, to move in the opposite direction. This is true in our relationships and in many of our experiences. And–as my friend John Smulo reminded me recently–a portion of the emergent movement is a reaction (often, rightly so) against modern thought and practices.

This got me to thinking about whether there is a better way to react. That is, in our revolt against some of the faulty assumptions of modernism, is it possible to do so in a manner that is more level-headed and balanced? In our aversion to certain traditional “bath water” is it feasible that we might restrain ourselves enough to be avoid throwing out the “baby”?

You can believe me I say that I have often been anything but a “model”of theological equilibrium, but I do recall a number of situations that challenged me to pursue some sort of balance. When I left a church where I had been a pastor for many years, I struggled with some of its agenda. Thus, for instance, they advocated and preached long and hard on Calvinistic themes. It’s not so much that I disagreed with what they said so much as I thought they were sometimes a bit too overconfident and didn’t give enough weight to other truths. After I had left, it would have been easy to reject these Calvinistic influences entirely and to adopt some radical “other end of the continuum” view. Instead, I recall being very conscious of what the best Calvinists had said and very determined to retain anything that was true. As a result, though I don’t like many of the labels people use, I still retain a strong belief in divine sovereignty. I just can’t escape the fact that Luther, Calvin, and others still have lessons to teach us. To provide another example, I recall growing weary of the extreme confidence of certain modern types, feeling that life and truth are just not as simple as some have led us to believe. In reacting against the hubris of modernity, it became clear that humility is an often neglected commodity. This admitted, however, I don’t think that we should allow a stance of humility to degenerate into a wimpy approach in which pretty much anything goes. Take a look at Jesus, and you’ll quickly see that he could be quite dogmatic at times.

So it is with the postmodern turn. There are plenty of things that are wrong with a modernistic brand of faith, and there are things that, quite frankly, drive me crazy about traditional presuppositions and habits. But this doesn’t mean that we ought to ignore everything that came before us, relegating it to the category of antiquity. How, then, can we pull this off? In what ways might we learn to be discerning postmodern sojourners? To be honest, I have no “set in stone” strategy (Would that be too modern? :-) ). Still, here are a few suggestions:

+ Spend time with lots of people, including modern types.

+ Acquaint yourself with some of the key figures and writers of the modern era. Understand their world and the manner in which they sought to be faithful. You’ll find mistakes, of course, but you’ll also find some impressive statements and stances.

+ Try to spent at least some time “looking in the mirror,” to borrow James’ imagery. Over time, you are likely to notice some tendencies that are troubling and some ideas that are imperfect. When we don’t have all the answers, we hope that others will be patient with us. Likewise, other imperfect types (that’s all of us!) require our patience.

Let’s face it. We are travelers. By God’s grace, we follow “the Way,” but it is also true that we are merely on the way. No one has arrived just yet. Journey is one of our mantras. Thus, even if it is the case that we live in one of those special (and dangerous) times between eras, it is also true that we are not likely the last ones to traverse the landscape of a new world. I want to feel the heat and energy of what God is doing in our age. I want to experience the excitement of it all. But I also want to be–with God’s help and yours–at least occasionally aware of my tendency to exaggerate (if it fits my current theory), neglect others (if they don’t do it just like I do), and treat my own perspective (ironically so, given our supposed postmodern enlightenment) as automatically superior. I want to be postmodern (in the best sense of that term) but also discerning and truth-seeking. I want to embrace and give expression to a wise, balanced, poised postmodernism.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carmen,

I really appreciate your thoughts here. We do need to not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

But I wonder if there's something such as a "holy reactionaries"? People who react strongly to what's wrong or lacking, who leave very little bathwater in the tub, but are following the journey God is taking them on?

I think of Moses taking time out after reacting really strongly--killing a guy!--when reason might have suggested he stay close and in the good graces of Pharoah. Or Paul, who took quite a bit of time out after his conversion. Didn't the church need him, and shouldn't he have spent more time in with fellow Pharisees instead of making such a radical shift?

I'm not discounting the need for equilibrium, but if God uses our emotion and angst or whatever for his purposes to bring about change that likely doesn't happen too often when we're in a state of equilibrium?

Thinking out loud.....

Dr. Carmen C. DiCello said...

Good stuff, John, and I can’t say that I disagree with you. Indeed, I think that God might send to his church/world reactionary types to stir us up. Perhaps balance is sometimes accomplished when opposite "imbalanced" individuals live in close proximity. :-)

This said, I still think a kind of balance is necessary. For instance Jesus was a paradigm breaker and maker, but he didn’t neglect Scripture along the way. Nor did he allow his obvious anger with the religious establishment to deter him from instructing his followers to follow what they (the Pharisees) said . . . even if the Pharisees themselves had violated it.

Likewise, Paul broke molds and did things that were practically unheard of, venturing into pagan territory to proclaim the truth. In fact he was so different that he spoke to the Athenians, for example, in a language that not only didn’t sound “synagogue” enough but was actually in the language of his hearers. Still, he never abandoned the major OT themes (God’s sovereignty, justice, etc.) and his goal was obviously to lead them to Jesus alone.

I guess what I’m feeling, John, is that seeming opposites should coexist. Thus, I’m not advocating a take-your-time, overly cautious approach. Rather–if this makes any sense–I’m talking about as radical and sometimes over-reacting an approach as possible COMBINED WITH an awareness that we are still bound by truth, by Scripture, by the Lordship of Jesus. Indeed, since we are all prone to both truth and error, we must allow them to remain in tension, often uncertain about our choices and impulses, neither discounting that our emotion may be from God nor assuming that our impulses are beyond question.

Of course I’m not merely thinking about the immediate affects of life on us. From my perspective, I live most of my life in a “wing it” fashion. But I also seek (and often fail!) to allow the truth as I currently envision it to be my guide.

When I read certain postmoderns, for instance, their reactionary spirit (which I embrace and commend and enjoy!) sometimes leads them to say things that are sometimes–in my opinion, at least–just plain inaccurate. Please don’t misunderstand; I’m not saying we should lynch such over-reactors! Go forbid, or I would be in trouble! All I’m saying is that I would hope we would retain the zeal and excitement and the “out there rebellion" of this new thing without taking a decade or two to recognize that we went too far the other way. I have no intention of mentioning any names, but there are some writers who tend to do this . . . in my opinion. Provocative language is often a good tool, and Jesus certainly did this at times, but he never allowed it to lead him into actual error (only perceived error).

Like you . . .I’m simply thinking out loud!

Thanks for your thoughts, John! They are great as usual.