Saturday, February 16, 2008

you're my home

God has given us a lot of great things. Some of these involve locations, places we go. Others involve relationships, people with whom we spend time. In my view both of these are important, and we should never minimize the significance of either.

Thus, it matters that we pay attention to the world God created, that we appreciate and enjoy the many blessings he has sprinkled across of our lives. There are vacation spots to enjoy (Cape May is one of these for me). There is scenery that takes our breath away (there is lots of beauty to behold). There are different places–some obvious and some not so obvious–where we feel comfortable. Again, this is a good thing, and we really ought to take advantage of and revel in the beauty of wonderful places.

But it also matters, and I think even more, that we remain grateful for the people God has placed in our lives. My family, my friends, my relatives, my students–these are very important to me. People, those whom God has placed in my life, mean everything.

This doesn’t mean, of course, that our relationships always run smoothly, for they can also be the cause of much turmoil and heartache. Life isn’t always easy; that’s for sure. Still, there is (potentially, at least) something very special about human beings, something that “outranks” even the most spectacular sunsets or the most exquisite natural (or man-made) phenomena.

Every once in a while I hear young people talking about how they want to move away from home. Supposedly, there is so much more “out there” than there is right here. Sometimes, this impulse to pick up and leave is a good one, and certainly there are many places in this world to explore . . . or where one might put down roots. However, it is also true that nothing can substitute for genuine connections with like-minded individuals about whom we care. As I’ve said many times, it’s not the places you are but the people you are with. It’s people even more than places.

Now, there is nothing to keep us from pursuing both. The ideal, I suppose, is to be with the right people in the right places. Both matter. But if you had to choose one, I’d advice that you choose people. Perhaps, it would be better said this way: There are many important features to life, things that truly matter. But the highest priorities (under God) are the relationships he sends our way.

I love to stroll along the beach. I love going for a walk. I love relaxing on my front porch on a nice spring or summer day. I love to run around the neighborhood. I love to be in many places, experiencing whatever good things I can. But even more important to me (I hope) are the special people whose lives he has allowed to intersect with my own. People matter the most.

The Billy Joel song You’re My Home captures some of my thoughts.

Home can be the Pennsylvania Turnpike
Indiana early morning dew
High up in the hills of California
Home is just another word for you

The theme of this love song is that people are the essence of home. Whether we’re talking about a romantic relationship, a family’s love, or other genuine connections with important individuals, home is where our loved ones are. I hope I can say, though I admittedly mess up all of the time, that (especially) my wife and kids, along with other special people in my life . . . that they are my home. To them I say, home is just another word for you.

No comments: