Thursday, December 21, 2006

screwed up, sorry . . . and forgiven

Let’s face it. We are often blind to our own weaknesses and conveniently forgetful when it comes to our own inadequacies. Far too often, we don’t see things the way they really are, which is a shame.

This is all the more reason to think, speak, and act properly when we do come to our senses and becomes cognizant of our foolish ways. With these things in mind, I’d like to apologize to everyone for all too often being so inept.

I can’t keep track of (and don’t want to) the times I’ve said stupid things to people I love. I am sorry.

It would be impossible to tabulate the number of temper tantrums I average each day. I am sorry.

Only God knows how many idiotic thoughts have passed through my empty head and how many good things I’ve allowed to escape my heart. I am sorry.

It scares me to think of the number of times I’ve done the “right” thing with wrong motives. I am sorry.

On and on I could go, listing the errors, the goofy choices, the sins that I’ve committed. A super computer couldn't possibly keep up with them. Again, I am sorry.

Why, you ask, am I saying these things? Well, to be honest, I have no reason in particular. Indeed, I suspect that my “I’m sorry’s” are themselves weak, incomplete, and hypocritical. I just think it is good to acknowledge these things once in a while. That’s all.

This all brings me back to my need for forgiveness and grace, and that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? Yeah, I’m a goof, but God is good anyway! Sure, I am incredibly inconsistent when it comes to doing good, but God is forgiving. Yeah, my behavior seldom matches up to my grandiose claims, but the Lord is gracious.

I suppose God’s grace should undergird everything about us. When we’re doing okay (at least when we think we are), it can be traced back to our good Creator. On the other hand, when we’re not doing so well, it is God who receives us back so freely.

Why is that I am not more astounded by his love, stunned by his acts of forgiveness, blown away by his incomprehensible mercy, astonished by his countless provisions? Even here, I have to own up to my ignorance. One again, I am sorry.

Thankfully, though, no matter how many times I mess up, the One who is goodness and love is there to meet me, to greet me, to embrace me, to love me. Though my expressions of regret are often lacking, while my best acts repentance are inadequate, though my admissions of guilt are laced with imperfection, he loves me still. I guess that’s what everlasting love is all about, huh? Sorry, but I usually miss that.

So, what are going to do with such a dense guy? Forgive him? Yeah, I like that, and that’s something about which I am not in the least sorry! :-)

No comments: