Saturday, September 02, 2006

God sees the dust!

A number of years ago, I assisted a friend who had a cleaning business. On certain days, we helped sweep, clean, vacuum, and otherwise beautify an office. I recall that on certain occasions, if I was in a particularly meticulous mood, I would try to do a really thorough job. One night, in fact, I remember dusting the top of a soda machine. The dust there was pretty thick, which is understandable given that it was in such an out-of-the-way place.

To accomplish my chore, I had to remove a number of objects from the top of the machine and then clean areas that, to be honest, few if any would see. This is what got me thinking. Here I was doing extra work, not only the typical chores but those things that no one would likely notice. In fact, even if someone had surveyed the top of the soda machine, they would not have known how dirty it had been previously, nor would they realize how superb a dusting job I had done. Indeed, I had wiped away the evidence.

Have you ever wondered about the purpose of doing things that no one notices? Ever done the right thing only to be ignored for it? Does it ever cross your mind that there is no real benefit to doing right when no one is looking? Well, besides the inherent blessing it can be to help another person, and on top of the fact that we really should feel honored to serve God and others whatever the benefits, there is also another incentive. That incentive is that one day there will be a reward. Though I cannot completely envision it, God will bless us in His good time. It may be in this life or in the next. All that I know is that we are promised that God will take care of us.

So, you’re really trying to do a good job, going above typical expectations, and yet you’re cognizant that most people don’t pay attention. You’re dusting the top of a soda machine that no one even cares about. Jesus had these words to say:
Take care! Don't do your good deeds publicly, to be admired, because then you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give a gift to someone in need, don't shout about it as the hypocrites do--blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I assure you, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone, don't tell your left hand what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in secret, and your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you (Matthew 6:1-4, NLT).
God knows what's going on . . . even if no one else does. Trust Him, for he sees even the dust.

No comments: