Monday, August 07, 2006

Thoughts on Faith

It's talked about all the time, but what exactly is it? What is faith? Though its described in many ways, the Reformers were onto something when they delineated three important elements. Faith, they said, involves (1) Facts, (2) Belief in the truthfulness of those facts, and (3) Trust in those facts.

Facts, of course, are pieces of information. When we believe in something, we possess a certain amount of awareness of it. When we cross a bridge, for instance, we normally do so because we are aware that it 's there. Faith includes at least basic facts.

True faith, according to the Reformers, also entails a belief that the data we possess are actually true. Thus, we will cross a bridge only if we believe that it will sustain us. Faith, then, involves a belief in the trustworthiness of certain facts.

But faith is also more, for it includes the element of trust. Genuine faith, in other words, actually ventures out onto our illustrative bridge, entrusting one's self to its stability. Faith includes personal trust.

All of these facets or depictions of faith make sense, and I believe the Reformers did us a favor when they highlighted them. Still, faith is not always so easily defined. Indeed, as true as these components might be, they do not afford us any absolute insight into the state of our or other people's faith.

Since faith is an internal matter of the heart, it often wavers in even the best of Christians. Indeed, some of the most sincere followers of Jesus have struggled with faith issues, wondering if they are rightly related to God.

There are a number of scenarios that stretch the Reformers formulations. What happens, for instance, when doubt enters into the picture? Can a doubting person also believe? How much doubt is too much? To put it another way, how much confidence is enough? Faith the size of a mustard seed seems to be adequate, but what happens when the mustard seed itself is buried in faithlessness that is the size of a field?

Then, there is the matter if trust. We know we're adequately trusting in a bridge when we step onto it. But how do we know that we have ventured out onto Jesus? We are psychological beings, and our psyches don't always function reliably. To this end, how many of us have played mind games when thinking of our standing before God? "Am I believing, or am I simply relying on my adherence to certain orthodox formulae?" Sometimes, it's difficult to know for sure.

Of course there is also the basic problem of knowledge. What is knowledge, and how much is sufficient? Furthermore, what happens when our knowledge is imperfect (which it always is), when what we believe is a combination of truth and error?

The Reformers ideas are helpful, as far as they go. But faith can be and often is more slippery than our best depictions of it. So, what should we do? First, let me be clear in saying that I do think it is helpful (even necessary) to describe and illustrate faith. But I especially think that we must emphasize and seek the true object of faith, God's one-of-a-kind Son, Jesus. To this end, our ultimate hope is found in the soul's ongoing, albeit often wavering, desire to connect with him. "Lord, I don't always understand faith, and I'm often confounded by my own lack of ability to, shall we say, grasp it. But, despite my inabilities and my goofiness, please allow me to be connected to you, the very author of faith. At my best moments, I think I believe. Help my unbelief and give me faith."

No comments: